The Economic Impact of Montana Artists
Income and Sales
Survey participants were asked to indicate the dollar value of their sales for 2001, 2002 and 2003. This information provided both a baseline for average sales levels and allowed us to examine if there were substantial changes in the sales data over the period. Chart 9 shows the distribution of sales ranges for survey respondents during the three-year period.
Chart 9 indicates that there were not large changes in sales levels in general from 2001 to 2003 although there were movements between categories.
- By 2003, the data shows an increase of almost double in the $50,000 to $84,000 range while lower sales ranges declined.
- In 2003, artist sales are somewhat evenly distributed in the ranges going from $5,000 all the way up to $84,000, with approximately 8 to 12% of respondents falling in each of these ranges.
- 41% of all artists' sales were less than $4,999, a decline from 47% in 2001 and 2002.
- 24% of all artists who responded had sales between $25,000 and $84,000.
- 7% of the respondents had sales above $84,000.